08 November 2010

Prep by Mr. Scott

(Tony Scott's pretty far away from being a favorite director of mine, but this prototype idea and his commitment to research are worth remembering).

 via

Q. So there’s a script you both like. What’s next?
SCOTT I went to Pennsylvania and interviewed different guys. I made a mini-movie using old movies like “Runaway Train,” television footage from the actual event and the interviews. Then I showed it to D and said, “This is the tone of the movie.” For me, that’s part of how I find my vision. I do a tremendous amount of research. Then I come to the studio with this little movie. No matter how much you talk about it, they still don’t get it. But you show them a four-minute movie?
Q. Denzel, how does Tony’s research affect you?
WASHINGTON It’s a treat to get a glimpse into the man’s head. Sometimes it’s like, “If you don’t want to do the movie, don’t go to that office.” Because you know he’s going to have all this stuff. One of the key things for “Man on Fire” [about a former assassin out to avenge the girl he was hired to protect] was that he gave me “The Iceman,” a tape about a guy who killed about 200 people. What helped me was how he talked about killing. He was so matter of fact.
via

2 comments:

  1. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5740692213665972395#
    is this the Iceman he is talking about ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's the guy. Probably okay to be with him over a dish of canolli, but not so okay otherwise.

    ReplyDelete