26 January 2010

The wit and wisdom of George Best

One of the all-time soccer greats, Belfast born George Best was as nimble with his words as with his feet. He was fond of booze, smokes and women.



I’ve stopped drinking, but only while I’m asleep.

In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life.


People always say I shouldn’t be burning the candle at both ends. Maybe they haven’t got a big enough candle.

It’s a pleasure to be standing here. It’s a pleasure to be standing up. (On being made Footballer of the Century, 1999)

Because I saw an advert on the side of a London bus inviting me to “Drink Canada Dry” (On going to play for Vancouver Whitecaps)

They say I slept with seven Miss Worlds. I didn’t. It was only four. I didn’t turn up for the other three.

Reporter Sue Mott, taking Best’s mobile phone number: “God, do you realise half the women in the world would pay good money to get that number?”
Best: “Half the women in the world have got it.”
 
I used to go missing a lot…Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss World.

via

No comments:

Post a Comment